Monday, March 14, 2005

Fun Facts about NZ

New Zealand Facts & Info:

Full country name: New Zealand (not Zimbabwe)
Area: 268,680 sq km
Population: 4 million
People: 75% New Zealand European (Pakeha), 10% Maori, 5% other European, 4.5% Polynesian, 5% Asian, 0.5% other

Language: Maori, English
Religion: Predominantly Christian (75%)
Government: Independent member of the Commonwealth of Nations
Head of State: Queen Elizabeth II
Head of Government: Prime Minister Helen Clark
GDP: US$85 billion
GDP per capita: US$22,360
Annual Growth: 2%Inflation: 2.7%
Major Industries: Food processing, wood and paper products, wool, textiles, dairy products, iron and steel, machinery, tourism, sheep farming
Major Trading Partners: Australia, Japan, UK, China and the USA


Some of the noteworthy cultural events include:
BMW Wine Marlborough Festival (2nd week in February; Blenheim)
Golden Shears Sheep-Shearing Contest (March; Masterton), a must for lovers of sheep and sweat

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journal Entry #1 - Packing

I am so excited for my vacation I just need to finish my packing and soon I will be on my way.

You can never have enough turtle necks when you are visting a country where the locals used to practice head hunting and cannibalism.

Note to self don't shower while in New Zealand. If I don't smell good chances are I won't taste good.

I'll just go over my check list and make sure I have everything packed.

My authentic New Zealand books.

"The real life story of To Fu the Vegetarian Cannibal of the Maori"

"The singles guide to New Zealand - Kiwi's they are more than just a fruit"

My own reading.

"Tinky Winky the misunderstood teletubby - It's not a purse Damn It!"

Items for my back pack:
1) Fake tanning cream
2) 43 turtle necks
3) Rugby Kleats and shirt
4) Glow worm repellant
5) Map of New Zealand
6) Yellow poka dotted bikini
7) One pair of underwear
8) One pair of socks
9) Bathroom accessories
10) Adapter switch for bedroom accessories
11) One pair of hiking boots
12) One pair of pants with tear away shorts
13) Passport
14) Crisco sun tanning/massage oil
15) Sheep farming clothing and sheep farming accessories.

Well I am all set. Two and half more days and the folks down there who are close to the other folks down there who we say are from down under will know what LaLa is all about. Unless we say that for both of them, anyway, they will know what LaLa is all about.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home