Friday, March 18, 2005

Arrival in Christchurch

Kia Ora! (Hello!)

I have arrived in Christchurch. : )

It's 10:35 am NZ time on Sat the 19th, which means it's about 4:35 am on Friday for you all.

My flight over was easy... I think I slept a solid 10 hours. Watched a couple of movies and made some Kiwi friends. When I arrived at the airport, I was told it would be about 2 hours before I could catch a bus into town. (It's about 15 km). I decided it would be a great way to stretch my legs and watch the sunrise.

The weather is gorgeous! Very tropical climate. Of course, my hair did the "instant afro dance" as soon as I stepped outside into the humidity. It was a lovely walk into Christchurch. The town was pretty sleepy, but it was nice to get a feel for the houses and the quaint buildings and churches. Everything is in full bloom - and it's so lush. There are flowers everywhere. There are palm trees, willow trees, and rubber plants. There is greenery everywhere. And it's so warm!!

My pack seems to be way heavier than I imagined it, or I am just not used to carrying it, yet. Yikes! About a half hour into my 2 hour epic tramp, I was strategizing on ways to reduce my load.

I figured I could ship stuff back home, or I could sell clothes to fellow backpackers along the way. I kept hearing a convincing voice in my head saying "I don't need a pack lock. What for? I bet there are lockers I could use. And I don't need an extra pair of shoes. Why did I bring those for? You know it's not going to rain, so I don't really need my rain jacket!"
Hopefully, I'll get used it.

In any event, I am sure I'll be built like a truck at the end of 3 weeks. Ha!

I found an internet cafe while I am waiting to get into my hostel room.
I'll be sharing a dorm with 3 other people. It should be interesting, but a great way to meet new people. Once I shower and get settled, I expect that I'll crash pretty hard.

Ttyl. : )

Here is a piece of trivia for you. According to the Guiness Book of Records, the longest city name in the world belongs to this New Zealand city:


Taumatawhakatangihangakoauotamateturipukakapikimaungahoro-Nukupokaiwhenua kitanatahu

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hey ... you made it! Great to hear that all is going well ... 15km walk, eh? You don't do anything the easy way do you? Stretch your legs indeed! No wonder your pack felt heavy!!!

I am sure that once you start doing things 'normally' it wont feel so heavy! ;-)

Thanks for posting an update.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flying for hours on hours and then walking for 15Km! That's wild. Glad to hear you're off to a great start.

Keep the updates coming as much as you can.

10:32 PM  
Blogger CaseyC said...

especially if they're the right sort of undies...

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey glad to hear your having a good time, have to send pictures of this crazy hair. How did I know you would walk rather than take a ride, and somehow I can not see you being built like a truck. Well like everyone has told you relax, enjoy, eat, sleep, and of course for you run. Be good and if you can't be good then be good at it ( a wise women told me that) and like I said I wanna see pictures when I come to ottawa in November to see U2.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home