Monday, March 21, 2005

Lionel Ritchie's #1 Fan ; )

How you going? (Translation - How are you doing?)

I've only had two little incidents on this adventure. (That's good for me!)

The first is that someone swiped my Canadian flag patch off my bag. I don't own an iron - so I had made a hole in the patch and attached it to a carabiner on my pack. Apparently Canadian flags are hot commodities. Who knew?

The second is that my Ipod mini died in LA. Completely died.
All the contents on my MP3 player seemed to be erased.

Now traveling without tunes is not the end of the world, despite all my "boo hooing". However one thing happens when you don't have your own choice of music at your disposal. You become susceptible to any piece of music that you happen to stumble across. It's like your brain is a sponge - it sucks in the song and plays it over and over and over again.

For example, I walked through the park in Christchurch and heard a snippet of Lionel Ritchie's "Say you, Say me". I had that song stuck in my head for the entire day. It was only until I heard another song - thankfully it was Mr. Brightside by The Killers - that I was saved. ; )

So, a word to fellow adventurers. Iron on your Canadian flag onto your pack and know a couple of tunes by heart before you leave! : )

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journal Entry #3 - Middle Earth

New Zealand is great and the people are so friendly. I was hoping to get my picture taken with a hobbit but so far I am the one who is being photographed. I keep trying to tell them I am not Xena the warrior princess.

My hostel was interesting. The smell of fresh vomit made the smell of stale urine barely noticeable. On the plus side they had an internet connection and I met some cool people.

When my new Kiwi friends found out it was my birthday they took me out to go meet some real locals. They also suggested I wear one of my turtle necks for the occasion.

We arrived in this quaint village and I knew I was being introduced to some of the traditional Maori tibe. I was so excited and the Maori said they had been looking forward to a party like this for a long time. Not since the arrival of James Cook in the 1800's were they this excited.

We partied all night. I drank and ate a lot of something green and glowing but they assured me that there was no meat in anything that we were eating or drinking. They said it is important to keep the guest pure. They were so nice.

I don't really remember what happened in the wee hours of the evening. One of my new friends joked that they brought out a birthday cake with glow worms on top for candles. What a jokster.

My arm and neck kind of hurt a little. I think it is the tatoo that now encircles them. There is a dashed line around my neck and a mark on my arm that appears to read Grade 'A'. Oh well it's been a great life experience so far.

I have to run now one of the Maori men seems to have taken a fancy to me and keeps yelling at me to come over to his hut.

I hate to break hearts but I really can't be with someone who's hair is frizzier than mine.

Later,

LaLa

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey ... that is true ... forgot it was your birthday - many happy returns girl!

Oh ... Lionel Ritchie, eh? Scary that people still listen to that stuff! So did you do the river running? You going out for a hike? What are your plans for this week?

Know that all your friends back here are thinking of you and wishing you well.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, girl! You know I usually don't ever sing, but I did just sing the 'Happy Birthday' song in your honor. Now that I've mentioned that, I'm sure it is now the song replaying in your head...sorry about that! ;)

Have a happy day!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's the song I send you every year on your birthday. This is funnier when it is Bart and Lisa...but we can pretend :-)

Miss ya darlin!

Lisa its your birthday
May God bless you this day
He gave me the gift of a little sister
And I'm proud of you today

Lisa its your birthday
Happy birthday Lisa
Lisa its your birthday
Happy birthday Lisa

I wish you love and goodwill
I wish you PRAISE and joy
I wish you better than your heart desire
And your first kiss from a boy

Lisa its your birthday
Happy birthday Lisa
Lisa its your birthday
Happy birthday Lisa

Yeah!

4:50 PM  
Blogger CaseyC said...

when songs get stuck in your head, just start singing a 'brain cleansing' song. like o canada. then you won't be so sad about your flag going missing and your brain will be free of annoying tunes.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, no tunes... how about Mr. Ritchie's Dancing on the Ceiling? Glad you are enjoying your adventures Lisa!! We miss you!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home