Saturday, April 02, 2005

Heading North to Lake Taupo

Good Morning Everyone!

I am off early this morning to catch a bus to Taupo, which is about 6 hours north of Wellington. My backpacker mates and I went out for a great Saturday party last night, they said that they wanted to give me a right send-off, and needless to say it was a bit difficult dragging myself from bed after just 2 hours of sleep! ; )

The Taupo region hosts New Zealand's first National Park. This park contains three magnificent volcanoes - Mt Ruapehu, Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe (the latter which stars as the scary ‘Mt Doom’ in the movie “Lord of the Rings”). If the weather is good, I hope to be hiking the Tongariro Crossing, which is a full days' hike to the top of Mt. Tongariro. If the weather isn't good, I am sure I'll find something equally fun to explore. : )

I enjoyed Wellington. It is a fun city with a very active nightlife. There are many delicious spots to dine in, funky stores, interesting architecture, and tons of green space. I walked up to the Mount Victoria lookout yesterday which gave me a 360 degree view of the surrounding area. It was very scenic. The gang at the Worldwide backpackers mostly consisted of people on a one-year work visa. They hail from all over the world: Ireland, the UK, Germany, and Switzerland. And they were very welcoming to travelers like myself. It felt a little like one big family.

I've actually found that traveling the way that I have been is a great equalizer - it doesn't matter where you come from, or where you are going, how long you are staying, what you do back home, everyone is on equal footing. It's pretty liberating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home