Sunday, March 27, 2005

Captain Ken

I met Captain Ken today!

Captain Ken is a youthful 80+ year-old man who decided, on a whim, to sit next to me on a bench while I waited for my bus. He was hoping to see an air show, and asked me if I knew anything about it.

One thing led to another and before you knew it, we were talking about adventures. Captain Ken was in the Royal Air Force in the UK. He signed up at age 15, went to the Korean War. He moved to New Zealand, after spending 10 years or some in the Air Force, and became a skipper. He captained many boats, of many sizes, for about 40 years. In those years, he'd seen rough seas, shipwrecking weather, and had many interesting experiences. He told me he learned a lot about life and what one was capable of, in those extreme, intense moments.

I explained how I was traveling on my own. How it's been wonderful and interesting, challenging and amazing, and how much I was enjoying myself. He smiled, pointed to a campervan, and told me he was off on his own adventure. He was driving around the country, all by himself. He admitted that he was very shy, and had difficulty meeting people. But he said, for some reason, he felt he could come over and talk to me. And he did.

Thanks, Captain Ken, for saying hello to me and spending some time with me, and for reminding me that my life is better off because of the people I've been fortunate to know.

Happy Adventuring!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You do realize that you are just asking for it right? Jason is going have a field day with your Captain Ken posting!! hehe

I am not surprise he felt comfortable talking to you - that is the kind of person you are. You sound like you are really getting used to this travelling ... be careful - it can get addictive! Soon you will be off galivanting all over the world.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey - just catching up. Glad yer having a good time Lisa. Sounds like lots of cool stuff goin' on.

J - you need to out-do yourself with the captain ken posting. I know you can do better.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
Happy Belated Birthday!
Sounds like you are having an amazing time with tons of adventures!

Make sure you take a dip in the ocean for us!

Craig and Meghan

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journal Entry #6 - Wink Wink Nudge Nudge

Out of nowhere I heard a cry. "Ahoy maties!" And then standing before me was the hottest 80 year old man I had ever seen.

His socks were black as coal and the belt holding up his shorts was shimering white. His mesh tank top showed ever nuance of his rippling, I mean wrinkly muscles.

The sexy tan line just below his nipples was clear as day. Only a real man can wear his shorts that high!

I've been stalking, I mean watching you, I mean nice to meet you LaLa.

You know my name?

Captain Ken knows everything about this island and you LaLa are no exception.

I tried not too look at his crotch but it was almost by his head so it was practically impossible.

"I know I nice spot we can visit." Say no more, say no more.

It's called the Lazy Shag. It's near the retirment home that I frequent."

"Do I make you Randy baby?"

The wind suddenly picked up and the stench of Old Spice or just Old washed through the air.

"My god you Kiwi's are a sexy lot aren't you I sighed."

"You see that campervan over there? It's all mine. Well technically it's all mine after another 73 more payements but it's pratically all mine"

"You see LaLa, I'm shy and I have difficulty meeting people."

"For some reason, I felt that I could come over and talk with you. I think we share a passion for the same thing, no what I mean, no what I mean."

I began to feel faint. Perhaps it was the heat being generated by two wondering soles or the sudden realization that a stinky old man was hitting on me.

Luckily, I knew it was nearly Ken's nap time. I started singing an ancient Maori Lullaby I had learned on my earlier travels and he fell fast asleep.

I wiped the drool off his chin and proped him up by his campervan and then continued on my journey.

As I walked I reminded myself that my life is better off because of the people I've been fortunate to know.

All for now,

LaLa

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home