Friday, March 25, 2005

New Zealand Cuisine

My experience with New Zealand food has been really good.
The food, generally, is very similar to Canadian cuisine, with a few exceptions.

Savory pies and muffins (steak and cheese; chicken and broccoli) are very popular, and are sold even in convenience stores.

Espresso (or as Kiwis call them "short black" or "long black") is served everywhere - even in the dingiest of diners or shops - and they are so good! It's hard to find regular filtered coffee. Unfortunately this means I just may have to invest in my own personal expresso maker. I don't think Timmies is going to cut it for me anymore. ; )

A typical Kiwi "special" is anything served with lamb. : )

There is a lot of Asian influence in the cities I've been to so far - so Japanese, Korean, and Thai restaurants are in abundance. Mmmm!

Wine and locally brewed beers (Monteight, Speight, and DBs) are very popular and quite delicious.

From what I can see, Kiwis love their sweets. Some of the new goodies I've tried are jelly tips (chocolate covered ice cream cones with a jelly tip), hokey pokey ice cream (vanilla with butterscotch chunks), pixie caramel chocolate bars, and minties.

I've also tried an interesting fruit, a feijoa, which is similar tasting to passion fruit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any place as good as Sweet Basil?

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home