Monday, March 21, 2005

The Wonderful World of Hostels

Generally, a hostel has all the ammenities you may need (showers, kitchens, lounges, tvs, internet, telephones) and are very clean. The ones I have stayed in are 2-3 floors. Each floor has a lounge/kitchen area, internet access, and a whole slew of rooms.

Some of the hostels are right in the heart of the city, and some located just on the outskirts of town (within a 10 min walk). But they are generally laid out so that if you are traveling on foot, it isn't hard to get to.

One thing that I have found traveling with a backpack is that I don't feel like I have my own place to go. I feel a little like I am a transient, and in many ways I am. So it is a good to have a place where I can stash my gear (usually a locker) while I take off exploring. It's a little piece of freedom.

Hostels are very affordable. I am paying between $18-23/night. It certainly makes me think twice about going and spending 3 nights worth of hostels for one hotel room!!

Rooms come in singles or shared. And the shared can be a room of 4, 6, or 8. And they can be single sex or mixed. Generally most people using the hostels are in their 20s, but I've seen a lot of people in their 60s/70s, too. It's pretty diverse.

I stayed in a dorm last night with 7 other people. It was a mixed room (men and women). The average age was about 22. It felt a little like being at camp, except that you don't really know anyone.

It was a bit awkward this morning, though, waking up, trying to get a pair of pants on so that I can go to bathroom, precariously navigating down the ladder from the top bunk, and trying not to wake everyone else up as I rummage through my pack to try and find clean underwear and socks. ; )

People are generally on different schedules, so everyone comes and goes at odd hours. Some people are asleep by 7pm, others stumble into the room at 3 am. You never know when people are arriving or leaving, and where they are coming from. It's a bit like a circus, but as long as you don't have difficulty sleeping, it's all good.

Most people that I've met in the hostels are from Germany, Asia, or the UK. I've met a couple of Aussies, and a few people from the US. But no Canadians, yet. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home